On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 11:39:18PM +0100, Dave Mitchell wrote:
> I disagree that the POD should be at the top because
>
> * it's less efficient:
>
> Perl will stop reading a src file when it encounters an __END__; on my FC3
> system, perl does a single read() syscall of the first 4K of the file;
> without the __END__ it has to do a second call to get the remaining 2K;
> and it seems to cause the process to malloc() more

We're down to arguing individual mallocs.  There's an old joke about hikers
who would clip the tags off their teabags so save weight.

> * on aethestic grounds:
>
> I like the fact that all the code fits in the first screen of an editor,
> terminated by __END__, so you immediatately know that that's all the code
> there is, rather than having to scroll through the whole file to make
> sure.

That's really a special case for Carp.pm at this single point in time.

What I like about inline is the documentation for a given function or
global is right there on the screen at the same time as you're looking
at the code.  It makes for less greping and scrolling.  It also makes
for less duplicating the documentation in comments (as illustrated in
$MaxArg*).

Curtis points out to me that one never wins coding arguments on aesthetics
anyway. :)

Also this is really all navel gazing as Carp.pm is now so small as to not
matter.

--
Michael G Schwern     [EMAIL PROTECTED]     http://www.pobox.com/~schwern
'All anyone gets in a mirror is themselves,' she said. 'But what you