Michael G Schwern wrote:
On Mon, Jul 18, 2005 at 02:41:30PM -0400, Scott R. Godin wrote:

FAR better would be to use HTML 4.01 Strict instead of XHTML unless you (because of MathML or some other such) know WHY you need it.

Ok, is there a decent POD -> HTML 4.01 Strict module out there?

If the XHTML produced currently would pass a validation test, then it's highly likely that as HTML 4.01 Strict, it would also pass (provided one removes the ' />' style tag-endings from things like '<br>', etc.

However, I know that CGI.pm (which IIRC is part of the core) is perfectly capable of producing clean well-formed html, (though the default !DOCTYPE used by it is HTML 4.01 Transitional) through its function-oriented interface. (which in a quite nifty fashion, has the added benefit of *looking* almost like html, making it far easier to debug, too.)

I've had this itch to rip Pod::Html to shreds for a while now, and refactor it to do the job more cleanly. Would anyone object to my taking a whack at it?