I would actually further this sort of activity.
I admire micro-kernel-type systems.  C and Java give you no functions out of
the box.  Keywords are just that, keywords.  I believe python is like this
as well.  The idea being that everything has to come from a module.. This
limits how much a new developer has to learn, and it doesn't pollute the
global name-space pool.  Though I would advocate OO interfaces to
everything, I'm sure that it would defeat a lot of perl's flexibilty, and so
I'd support the simple Exporter method.

>From this, socket, and virtually all IPC methods should go the wayside.
This includes pipes, shell environment ops ( the get and set functions ),
and even the file-io (open, close, and possibly even printf, sprintf).  At
this point, it gets a little hairy, since arguably, everybody wants print
and <>.  I would suppose that most want open as well.  My personal taste is
to use IO::File, but that's just me.
Since these are just hooks into standard C libraries, I don't think that
they really take up any room.   But it is hard to justify keeping some of
these less used features while taking out others (like FORMAT).

-Michael