>Perhaps it would be better to have Perl support all of perlfunc(1) in the
>core still, but allow users to turn subsets off?

>Or, perhaps the core functions could be syntactic sugar for access to
>modules, and have a transformation happen automagically in the parser?  (My
>gut says "here there be dragons", but they don't seem like dragons that are
>unslayable.)

One might consider making CORE:: a real-er namespace.  In Python, for
example, with its semi-numbskulled non-nesting scoping levels,
you still have three resolutions: builtins (read: CORE), package, and
local.  These are all fully-fledged namespaces, and you could store
something in the builtins if you wanted.  Somewhat like CORE::GLOBAL.
Right now, of course, you can't usefully do much with \&CORE::dbmopen,
for example.  But if you could, perhaps more would be feasible.

However, I feel that I may run the risk of violating the following:

    "We do not define Perl as an improved version of some other
    language.  Nor do we define Perl as the next universal language.
    We're not trying to make Perl a better language than C++, or
    Pyuthon, or Java, or JavaScript.  We're trying to make Perl a
    better language than Perl.  That's all."
                --Larry Wall in his 1999 State of the Onion Address

But if I am doing so, then it is not without ample precedent in this
and related threads. :-(

--tom