Tom Christiansen writes:
> If the goal is to make Perl parsable by emacs, might as well just
> say that.

That's not my goal.

Damian's Text::Balanced does a pretty good job of tokenizing Perl
as it is.  / by itself requires a lot of lookahead, and it's still
a guess.

Being able to have any programming language able to manipulate Perl
programs is a common sense Good Thing.  In particular, being able
to manipulate the text of a Perl program means you can do analyses
and preprocessing.  If you say "oh, just use O:: and B::" then you
force me to parse the program, suffering the injustices of the
optimizer, before I can get my code back.  Look at how B::Deparse
struggles now.  I don't want to struggle.

Nat