  CF> I made the suggestino a while back, that if this is true for core. It
  CF> might be feasible for non-core modules (assuming some sort of registry)
  CF> so that an implicit use might be performed.

i am proposing such a registry which is a pragma you use to load in
groups of namespaces just like with @IMPORT_OK and :standard groupings.
this serves 2 purposes, it tells the compiler which names are to be
placed in the function symbol table. the name groups could be 'sockets',
'math', etc.  and it may optionally load them from a library (which
could be in multiple forms).

so with one simple pragma we can simplify the namespace and still get
full backwards compatibility support. and we can control how real code
is loaded on an as needed basis. a given perl binary could be created
with various parts designated as always in and others are dynamically
loaded. this can be done at build time or even at run time with some
special startup file which could be triggered by a command line option.

uri

--
Uri Guttman  ---------  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  ----------  http://www.sysarch.com
SYStems ARCHitecture, Software Engineering, Perl, Internet, UNIX Consulting