At 12:23 AM 8/23/00 +0000, David L. Nicol wrote:
>Dan Sugalski wrote:
>

> > Any variable that has a 'per-thread' component should be self-contained.
>
>We don't know how many instances of iteration happening in the
>program there will be, or how many there can be.  If each instance
>of hash iteration maintained its iterator with the code, that simplifies
>tieing.  The opnode for an iterator will need to store a pointer to
>the iterator, rather than a tie interface needing to store an array.

Then perhaps we should instead add a way to have a hash (or array, for that
matter) create and return an iterator, and then have the hash itself track
the iterators registered to it.

I have had the "Well, Duh!" flash, though, and now do realize that having
multiple iterators over a hash or array simultaneously could be rather handy.

                                        Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk