On Fri, Sep 01, 2000 at 03:13:04PM -0600, Tom Christiansen wrote:
> Can't you do this with with an environment setting?
>
> Shell people seem to think this a normal notion, but it's caused
> horrible security flaws in the past.  And I couldn't imagine it of
> a C compiler, so I don't know why you would do this one.

If I may be so bold as to suggest that AIX folks may have a good idea,
at least in this area.  For things like compilers (C, Fortran, ...)
they have a configuration file in /etc that contains entries like
(schematically):

cc_r:
        crt = ...  libc_r
        libs = ... -lpthread
        options = -D_THREAD_SAFE

c89:
        options = -D_BONDAGE_AND_DISCIPLINE -DOH_SO_STRICT_STRICT_STRICT ...

The executables, /usr/bin/cc_r, and /usr/bin/c89, are than just hard
links to /usr/bin/cc (this may not be _exactly_ as AIX does it, so please
don't correct me on details).  The main executable inspects its $ARGV[0],
errr, argv[1], and sets the various things appropriately based on the
configuration file.  This is beautiful: the sysadmins can add "new
compilers" just be adding new definitions to the file, or edit the
old definitions.

--
$jhi++; # http://www.iki.fi/jhi/
        # It is 'dead'. -- Jack Cohen