  MGS> Here's a little pros/cons list running through my head right now...

  MGS>         pro                                     con
  MGS> Customize @INC                          We have PERL5LIB

  MGS> Forcing -T on                           Will break most existing programs.
  MGS>                                         Makes one-liners annoying.

who runs one liners with -T?

what about making the rc files load only if there is code not in a -e
string? this solves the one liner problem. you can force them with
another option if you want them with -e. i can't imagine why you would
but there are crazies everywhere.

  MGS> Furthermore, .perlrc files can currently be implemented without a core
  MGS> patch.  Write a script which looks for a .perlrc file, generates a bit
  MGS> of perl code, prefixes this to the program being run and then passes
  MGS> it all to perl.  Put that in place of /usr/bin/perl and tada!  We
  MGS> could develop such a script and distribute it with Perl.  Such a
  MGS> script also makes a good prototype, to hash out the pros and cons of
  MGS> this RFC should anyone want to go forward with it.

yechhh!! and that script will slow everything down with a double call to
perl.

i think a system rc file is a good idea but the way to use it is not
well defined.

i think an environment var might be a good way. if it is set, it is the
file(s) to preload before running your code.

export PERL_PRELOAD=/etc/sysperl:/home/uri/.perlrc
perl foo

simple, out of the way if you don't need it. on any site where the
admins like to control stuff this way, they already preset many env
values for you in the shared shell startup files. adding one more value
would be trivial.

uri

--
Uri Guttman  ---------  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  ----------  http://www.sysarch.com
SYStems ARCHitecture, Software Engineering, Perl, Internet, UNIX Consulting