Dlux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>| I've  deemed  to be  "too  complex".)  (Also  note  that I'm  not  a
>| database
>| guru, so  please bear with  me, and don't ask  me to write  the code
>| :-)
>
>Implementing threads  must be  done in  a very clever  way. It  may be
>put in  a shared library (mutex  handling code, locking, etc.),  but I
>think there  are more clevery  guys out  there who are  more competent
>in this, and I think it is covered with some other RFCs...

If amazingly clever threads handling is a requirement of this RFC
then it is probably doomed. Multi-processing needs detailed explicit
specifications to be done right - not vague requests.

>I also  don't like the overhead,  that's why I made  the "simple" mode
>default (look  at the "use  transaction" pragma again...).  This means
>NO  overhead,

Not none, perhaps minimal ;-) - it has at least got to be looking
at something pragma can set.

>no  locking  between  threads:  this  can  be  used  in
>single-thread  or multi-process  environment. Other  modes CAN  switch
>on locking functions,  but this is not default! If  you implement that
>intelligently (separated .so  for the thread handling),  then it means
>minimal overhead (some more callback call, and that's all).

I would need to understand just where the thread hooks need to go.
So far my non-detailed reading suggests that the hooks are pretty
fundamental.

--
Nick Ing-Simmons <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Via, but not speaking for: Texas Instruments Ltd.