Realize that you are trying to convince a group who uses POD at the command
line (no, not everybody) to use a complete markup language. We're talking about
self-commenting code, sir, not a strict documentation system with indices and
the likes in any formal sense. Even if a documentation system does need a
revamp, one like POD with its goals and means doesn't require complete markup,
and from what I've seen on CPAN, the less authors have to deal with in terms of
official structural grammar in incidental text within their modules, the better
off everyone is.

No language that I know of has anything like this, or considers it warranted.
Perl is among a select few that even allows documentation within its
programming code. Maybe the presentation could be fixed up a bit, but as for
official grammars, POD is _already_ heads and tails above the rest. (viz.
Javadoc, Python """ docs, and C++/Pascal documentation that relies on /** and
{(* nastiness).

What, in programming, do you need? Multimedia? Rigid structure within
beneficial in POD.)

One of the goals of POD is that it be easily translated into other formats. XML
is one of the end formats to translate TO, not an applicable format to
translate FROM. The more structured the original format, the more difficult it
becomes to end up with HTML/Postscript/TeX/Word/WinHelp/HtmlHelp/Text and all
of the other pod2x's that I can't think of at the moment. If you want XML,
provide a translator first, and see how many people actually use it over the
other formats that get translated TO. Currently, the two most used formats are
text at the command line, and HTML.

This doesn't say that POD can't use improvement, because it's nearly
universally recognized that it can (a la Larry), but moving from POD to XML is
as horrendous as moving from Perl to Python/Java/C++ _within_ Perl, and I
believe is an accurate allusion.