Andy Dougherty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> (Does the LPGL and the existence of fgmp make it ok to distribute the
> interface/XS code and rely on the end user to install gmp if they so
> choose?  Ick.  I hate licensing problems.)

This is actually one of the reasons I'd like to see the licensing working
group to continue indefinitely.  We need to decide: "Do we want perl6 to
depend on libraries with somewhat stricter licenses?"

I personally think that the relying on LGPL'ed code is completely
reasonable.  Some will disagree, so we need to come to a consensus on this
as a community.

Also, note that as long as our license is compatible with the LGPL (and
most licenses are).  There are no licensing problems for us, but we might be
creating hassles for those who redistribute proprietary software versions of
perl.

--
Bradley M. Kuhn  -  http://www.ebb.org/bkuhn

PGP signature