On Tue, Jan 02, 2001 at 12:00:19PM -0500, Dan Sugalski wrote:
> I'm going to try really hard to avoid that particular pitfall, if for no
> other reason than you can set things on the VMS C compilers such that you
> have 64-bit pointers and 32-bit ints by default. (Takes some work, but it's
> doable) I think some of the platforms do Odd Things for pointers to
> functions as well that might cause this assumption to fail.

One recently showed up on perl5-porters. I think it was some obsolescent
(but in use) Cray
IIRC Crays don't have 16 bit int support. The pack code at the top of pp.c
seems to show the things that really don't like 16 and 32 bits

Which is a shame as it would be really nice for I32 to be exactly 32 bits
(for those times when you know you want 32 bit operations)
OTOH one could have an I32exact macro which wasn't defined when the compiler
couldn't do native 32 bits.

Nicholas Clark