> par can do something similar.  It can slap a copy of pun (and thus
> perl) onto the archive.  Its not simple, and its platform dependent,
> but its useful.  I'm more and more seeing par as a way of
> embrace/extend/destroying perl2exe.
>
> And I think we could squeeze something into 5.8.

Careful with that keyboard.

The problem of packaging and compressing is easy.

The problem of unpacking, or in other words, installing, or in other
words, embedded hardwired paths is hard.  Think library paths: both
pure Perl libraries *and* shared libraries.  In theory this is easy:
the portable (and grody) solutions is to have a "long enough" filler
path(s) that is(are) then at install time binary patched.  In
practice, though, for some reason no one seems to have done this so
that this would be a widely used practice and well-known art.  In your
answer remember other UNIX platforms than Linux and other platforms
than UNIX.

--
$jhi++; # http://www.iki.fi/jhi/
        # It is 'dead'. -- Jack Cohen