At 01:28 PM 2/12/2001 -0600, Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:
>On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 02:19:54PM -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > Perl binary with a built-in @INC prefix something like
> > "/tmp/XXXXXXXXXpErLXXXXXX" and then do some s/// madness over the
> > binary.
> >
> > Anyhow, this is easily solved by having pun run the scripts inside the
> > par as "perl -Ilib" or something similar.
>
>It's "easily done" but strangely the implementations seems to have
>left the main Perl distribution unscathed after all these years.

I'm pretty sure there are a couple of platforms in the core distribution
that manage position independence, or moveability at least--I thought that
the OS/2 port did this. (VMS and Windows don't count here, though both are
position independent last I knew, requiring an environment variable or
something similar)

> > Shared libraries are easy enough to solve, build perl staticly linked.
>
>Oh, great.

If things are being packaged up, it is the only option. Otherwise you have
to go and unpack things into some 'known' location at runtime, or other odd
things.

I'm not saying it's a *good* option, mind. It just may be the only one for
a perl with extensions.

                                        Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk