At 10:48 AM 2/22/2001 +0100, Bart Lateur wrote:
>On Wed, 21 Feb 2001 17:32:50 -0500 (EST), Sam Tregar wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 21 Feb 2001, Bart Lateur wrote:
> >
> >> Actually, it's pretty common. Only, most languages are not as forgiving
> >> as perl, and what is merely a warning in Perl, is a fatal error in those
> >> languages.
>
> >Examples?  I know you're not talking about C or C++.
>
>Visual Basic, for one, or any other BASIC in history. It looks like a
>compiled vs. interpreted thing.

Not necessarily. My C compiler throws out the equivalent of perl's "use of
undefined value" error. Granted it only whines about the use of
uninitialized variables, and ones that can be detected at compile time, but
the checks are still there.

>C doesn't do any runtime error checking,
>because of speed reasons. There's no array bounds checking.

Also not quite true anymore. Some C compilers will do array bounds checking
for you at run time. Compaq C will, though it's off by default because of
the speed penalties involved.

>You can use
>a null pointer when copying a string, which results in an untrappable
>program error ;-).

Nah, that's trappable too, if you know what you're doing. :)

                                        Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk