On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 03:34:16PM -0800, Brent Dax wrote:
> The reward?  English-speaking children learn what is arguably the most
> flexible and expressive spoken language in the world.

"Arguably"? I don't see how one could argue that, and I speak the damned
language. (I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to resist the temptation to ask
you just how many languages you *have* learnt to fluency. I have three, and
English rates bottom of the pack for expressiveness.)

> Austrian variable names
  ^^^^^^^^^
That's a language?

> On another note, perhaps we should set up something where longer names for
> some special variables are built in.  How's $}PERLVERSION sound?

We already have $^WIDE_SYSTEM_CALLS, $^WARNING_BITS and $^OPEN. They're even
documented in perlvar.

--
On our campus the UNIX system has proved to be not only an effective software
tool, but an agent of technical and social change within the University.