> > beautiful. Then extending this is simple, consistent, easy to read,
> > compatible with perl5..
>
> I'm not sure that that was the point I was trying to make.
> If nothing else, the '.' would then be responsible for *three*
> different actions.

Right, but what *I* am saying is that any given user is already conditioned to
the fact that it can mean different things in different circumstances.

And like I said earlier, if we make $a . $b the only proper form for
concatenation, I don't think that there is going to be much of a learning curve.
In any case, I like it better than yet another punctuation mark.

Ed