> While perhaps inconsistent, I'd really rather it did #2.  Here's the
> basic argument... compare how often you dup a filehandle with how
> often you read from one.  Duping is swamped by several orders of
> magnitude.  Dup with $fh = $STDIN.copy; (or whatever).  $line =
> $STDIN.next should still work normally.

You know, I hear what you're saying, but it really makes the little hairs on
my neck stand up. Just imaging trying to teach this:

   $a = $b;    # assignment or readline?

It's really spooky. You're changing what = does, indeed what method it calls
(copy vs next), based on the contents of the variable. I'd much rather have
to do:

   $a = next $b;

Truthfully, I've always liked the <>'s (and personally don't think we need a
qw alternative), so I'd rather we stay with:

   $a = <$b>;   # same as next $b or $b.next

Hey, maybe we can convince Larry... ;-)

-Nate