Lightning flashed, thunder crashed and Larry Wall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> whispered:
| Peter Scott writes:
| : So, I wonder aloud, do we want to signify that degree of change with a more
>
| : dramatic change in the name?
|
| I'm inclined to think that people will be more likely to migrate if
| they subconsciously think we're taking continuity into consideration.
| Which we are, albeit not at a syntactic compatibility level.

It seems to me that recently (the last two years or so) and especially with
6, perl is no longer the SAs friend.  It is no longer a fun litle language
that can be easily used to hack out solutions to problems.  It is now
(becoming) a full featured language, quite at the expense of its heritage.

When we moved from 4 to 5, so people thought we should continue developing
4 without all the "useless" new stuff, like OO and threads and etc.  I
wonder more and more if they weren't right.  I wonder if as 6 develops if
we shouldn't split off the old 4 syntax and have two languages.

-spp