> On Sep 9, 2018, at 2:50 PM, ToddAndMargo <toddandma...@zoho.com> wrote:
>
> My point is that the dictionary should teach you how to use
> the word in question.  I do believe I am correct in my
> assertion too.

Let's be clear that reference documentation is not the same as a tutorial. This
is the difference between the Camel and the Llama. Absolutely, programmers need
both of these, but at different times. When you are in programming mode as
opposed to learning mode, and you want a definitive, authoritative, complete
answer to a specific question, you need reference documentation that is not
encumbered by pedagogical devices, interstitial examples, or simplifying
assumptions.

Open source projects frequently shoot themselves in the foot by assuming that
they can improve any documentation simply by adding whatever people are asking
for to the same buckets. Perl 5 got this right (at least, initially) by
creating the ---tut series of pods. Good programmers are not always good
writers or teachers.

Peter Scott
Author, "Perl Debugged," "Perl Medic," and "Perl Fundamentals."