On 9/26/2018 3:21 PM, ToddAndMargo wrote:

I use words all the time.  I never would have figured it out
from

    multi method words(Str:D $input: $limit = Inf --> Positional)

Do your really think any beginner would be able to figure out
"words" from the above?

If the beginner had studied the metasyntax of function prototypes, probably.  But this is not necessarily for beginners, this is reference documentation, which has to serve a purpose unencumbered by pedagogical weight.  This documentation is not a tutorial, it is autogenerated.  You are relatively unique in insisting that the reference documentation also function as a beginners' roadmap, so you are going to experience this kind of frustration repeatedly.

I taught Perl 5 trainings for many years in addition to authoring books, videos, and courses on same, and the difference between what is best for learning and what is best for reference is stark.  I heard about people who claim to have taught themselves Perl 5 from the Camel instead of the Llama, but they are few and far between, and in any case, most of the Camel contains exposition, if dense. You're looking just at something corresponding to the list of functions.  I honestly think you'll get further forcing yourself to plow through the new Learning Perl 6 book than these random access forays into reference specs.  brian just spent two years of intense effort arranging it to fit precisely the graduated path your questions tell me you need.