On 2020-01-12 23:20, WFB wrote:
Hi Todd,

For years, I have been playing around with programming stuff. I never stumbled across the term "cardinal". Its obvious that I am not an native English speaker and it does not hurt to learn new stuff. But, you makes it harder to understand your problems if you not use the common jargon.

Regards,
Wolfgang

Hi Wolfgang,

I am aware that the term might be obscure to some.
That is why I always say (uint) or unsigned integer to
make sure everyone knows what I am talking about.
I will continue to do so.

The term is quite common in Pascal and Modula2.
I have even seen it in C++.

Here are some examples for you:

C++
https://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_71_0/libs/numeric/conversion/doc/html/boost_numericconversion/definitions.html

    A numeric type Cardinal representing integer numbers with
    a numeric set: {0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9} and range: [0,9] (
    no modulo-arithmetic here)

Modula2:
https://www.modula2.org/tutor/chapter3.php

    The simple types are INTEGER, CARDINAL,
    REAL, BOOLEAN, and CHAR.

Ada (does not use the term, but their tutorials do)
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Ada_Programming/All_Chapters

    Unsigned Integers (unsigned, CARDINAL)

If you were to stumble across ALL the various
programming languages, you'd probably go insane,
so it is understandable that you would not have
heard the term.  In our Publik Skools, they use the
term "counting numbers", probably because they
want to avoid snickering about red birds and to
maintains the USA standing as the second worst
education system in the industrial world.

:-)

-T