On Tue, Jun 05, 2001 at 03:29:02PM -0700, Daniel S. Wilkerson wrote:
> It would be interesting for someone to measure that, however I doubt that it
> is so.

Oh, and look at what just showed up in my mailbox!

----- Forwarded message from Tony Bowden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> -----

I think we should start measuring our rate of change on the
Maintainability Index over time:

It's quite a simple process. For each 'module' of code, we just take:

  171 - 5.2 * ln(aveV) - 0.23 * aveV(g') - 16.2 * ln (aveLOC) - 50 * sin (s=
qrt(2.4 * perCM))

where
  perCM    = the average percent of lines of comments per module,
  aveLOC   = the average count of lines of code per module
  aveV(g') = the average extended cyclomatic complexity per module=20
  aveV     = the average Halstead Volume V per module.

For anyone not familiar with the latter concepts, the cyclomatic
complexity (CC) is simply calculated as:
  CC = E - N + p

Where for a connected graph of the module that shows the topology of
control flow within the program,
  E = the number of edges of the graph
  N = the number of nodes of the graph
  p = the number of connected components

and the Halstead Volume is simply
  HV = N * (LOG2 n)

where
  N = N1 + N2
  n = n1 + n2

where
  n1 = the number of distinct operators
  n2 = the number of distinct operands
  N1 = the total number of operators
  N2 = the total number of operands=20

(This is spelt out in much more detail at
  http://www.sei.cmu.edu/activities/str/descriptions/mitmpm.html)

This should be fairly simple to implement (I'll leave that as an exercise
for the reader), and could probably be used as a starting point for
CPANTS.

(That was a joke, BTW)

--

Michael G. Schwern   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/
Perl6 Quality Assurance     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>       Kwalitee Is Job One