Adam Turoff [[EMAIL PROTECTED]] quoth:
*>
*>Nevertheless, a degenerate case for installing Perl never requires
*>transfers or temporary disk space measured in quarter gigabytes.

Sure it can. Sysadmins are frequently asked to keep multiple versions of
Perl around for people who have a tool that works with one version of perl
yet want to continue developing with another version, etc. Since there's
no SDK or a 'Best of CPAN' type of bundle for people to use, installing
modules for each version can be tedious and confusing, especially if you
have a farm of 5,000 boxes of all different flavours of Unix. Several
installations of Perl can absorb a couple hundred MB installed. Also, a
local copy of CPAN will consume 1GB alone.

*>Worst-case-to-worst-case, Perl doesn't suck, and it's doing much
*>better than Java.  I wonder which is easier to support post-install.

Perl can suck and often does for the newcomer who, when faced with trying
to wade through all the XML modules on CPAN trying to figure out which one
is which for what purpose, can be quite frustrated with getting things to
work as advertised.

And support depends on what model you have. If you can afford commercial
supprt, I'd guess Java would be easier hands down since SUN has
wonderful support in my experince.

Everything can suck given enough scrutiny.

e.