David Whipp wrote:

> The other standard solution is to
> add a "Person has-a Employment_Status" relationship,
> but that doesn't feel much better.

It feels fine to me.  Person has-a gender, person has-a job,
it's more politically correct, even, than pigeonholing.  You
can even do dynamic multiple dispatch based on your has-a list,
whatever it looks like.

> Its just another
> way of programming round a weakness in the object
> models of most mainstream languages

For that matter, you can implement is-a in terms of has-a --

object has-a blessing which is set to 'Person'

In my opinion, as long as we're  checking object class with programmer
code instead of automatic polymorphism, it doesn't make any difference.
(haven't read the whole thread here, suspecting the many modules referred
to are doing just that.)

--
                                           David Nicol 816.235.1187
                         Ikki ikki ikki ikki ptang ptang neighwhum!