On Tue, Aug 28, 2001 at 09:13:25AM -0400, Michael G Schwern wrote:
> As the pendulum swings in the other direction you get mind-bogglingly
> silly things like finalize which I just learned of today.

What's so silly about finalize?  It's pretty much identical to Perl's
DESTROY.  (Except that Java's non-refcounting GC doesn't provide the
same guarantees on when an object whill be finalized.)  (And the problem
that all too many JVMs have had buggy implementations of finalizers...
that's an implementation issue, not a language one, though.)

                         - Damien