On Tue, Aug 28, 2001 at 10:47:35AM -0700, Damien Neil wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 28, 2001 at 09:13:25AM -0400, Michael G Schwern wrote:
> > As the pendulum swings in the other direction you get mind-bogglingly
> > silly things like finalize which I just learned of today.
>
> What's so silly about finalize?

Sorry, I ment "final".  final classes and methods.  The idea that you
can prevent someone from subclassing your class or overriding your
methods.  I've seen things that hinder reuse, but this is the first
time I've seen one that violently blocks reuse!

Wow.  I'm reading the Sun tutorial on the subject.  Interesting reading.
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/java/javaOO/final.html

They list two reasons to make your class final.  One is security
(which might actually be valid, but I doubt it will hold up to
determined attack), the other though...

    You may also wish to declare a class as final for object-oriented
    design reasons. You may think that your class is "perfect" or that,
    conceptually, your class should have no subclasses.

The idea that a class is either 'perfect' or 'complete' has to be the
silliest, most arrogant thing I've ever heard!

Anyhow, just don't anyone suggest putting this in Perl 6.  I know
where you live.

--

Michael G. Schwern   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/
Perl6 Quality Assurance     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>       Kwalitee Is Job One