On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 12:23:34PM -0700, David Whipp wrote:
> Aaron Sherman wrote
> >
> >     my @a;
> >     @a ^= 0;
> >     print @a
> >
> > Are you saying that this should print an infinite number of zeros?
> >

> Quoting Larry on this subject (apocalypse 3, bottom of page 3): "I
> can think of other cans of worms this opens, and I'm quite certain
> I'm too stupid to think of them all. Nevertheless, my gut feeling
> is that we can make things work more like people expect rather
> than less. And I was always a little bit jealous that REXX could
> have arrays with default values. :-)"

Larry's hubris notwithstanding, I'd like to suggest that "more", in this
case means "no, it prints nothing".

This *must* be true, as you don't want:

        @a ^+ @b

to always return an infinite list. You want it to produce a list with
(as a3 suggested) length max(@a.length,@b.length)

--
Aaron Sherman
[EMAIL PROTECTED]             finger [EMAIL PROTECTED] for GPG info. Fingerprint: