On Fri, Nov 16, 2001 at 09:59:23AM -0800, Larry Wall wrote:
> I think that as soon as the concept of a cache starts producing bit flags
> and unions and cascaded if/then/elses, it's probably a bad concept.

It doesn't; once I've finished the reworking, then a PMC that has a
PerlInteger vtable will know, by golly, that what's in the cache will be
an INTVAL, and if it becomes a string, then the vtable changes so that
it's in the PerlString class.

This kinda makes sense at the Perl 6 language level as well, I think:

    $foo = 0;
    print $foo.TYPE; # INT
    $foo .= "Ha!";
    print $foo.TYPE; # STRING

(or similar) It's just like a scalar gets reblessed every time its
nature changes.

--
All the good ones are taken.