At 04:57 PM 11/23/2001 +0100, Bart Lateur wrote:
>On Wed, 21 Nov 2001 13:46:09 -0500, Dan Sugalski wrote:
>
> >Nah, using an I register as a host-machine-address for jumps doesn't argue
> >for sizeof(INTVAL) >= sizeof(void *). Instead, it argues that the design
> >that uses an int as an absolute address is wrong.
> >
> >I'm going to rewrite the docs and ops to use a S register instead. Now all
> >I need to do is figure out something to make S stand for that encompasses
> >both uses. (Buffer pointer and generic pointer)
>
>That sounds equally bad. This opens the door into jumping into user data
>as if it was code.

Yup, there is that problem. I'm not sure it's significant enough to be
worth worrying about it--the compilers should make sure that no code that
does that happens in the normal course of execution, and the safe code will
be paranoid about it.

>Plus, will your code be garbage collected too?

Nope. Only the P registers are GC'd. The S registers aren't considered part
of the root set.

                                        Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk