At 11:05 AM -0400 4/29/02, Melvin Smith wrote:
>  >Just for chuckles, I went and benchmarked things, as meaningless
>>numbers are useful to have. With my current GCC3/-O3 build of parrot,
>>the cost to do 10,000,000 sets of saves is as follows:
>>
>>save all: 5.3 sec usertime
>>    save 1: 2.6 sec user
>>    save 2: 4.7 sec user
>>    save 3: 6.8 sec user
>
>Wow, if you got this on your VMS box, It should do about 20,000,000
>ops on my 386? :)

Heh. You wish--my VMS work was done, until recently, on a 600MHz EV56
with more cache than you can shake a stick at. The thing was a
screamer. ;-P

>What CPU is this benchmark on, seriously? I've been watching
>the Athlon XP chips drop in price and want to rebuild my single
>CPU Linux box with one soon.

This was on a 600MHz G3. (AKA my iBook) My Celeron box (300MHz
original no-cache celeron) clocked about four times as much wall-time.
--
                                         Dan

                                       teddy bears get drunk