Nicholas Clark:
# On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 10:17:47AM -0700, John Porter wrote:
# >
# > Dan Sugalski wrote:
#
# > > Heh. I never expected to have to dust off my trig skills when I
# > > started this. If I need to dig out the calculus books, I
# think I'll
# > > just go run screaming...
# >
# > Not to worry.  There's no trig involved.  Just the Pythagorean
# > theorem.
#
# Unless I'm being thick, x² < y² whenever x < y for positive x
# and y (ie you don't need to take the square root of the
# hypotenuse to work out which hypotenuse is shorter. And all
# we're actually interested in which one is shorter, aren't we?)

Assuming x and y are integers, yes.  Which'll probably be all we ever
deal with, so for all intents and purposes you're correct.

--Brent Dax <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
@roles=map {"Parrot $_"} qw(embedding regexen Configure)

He who fights and runs away wasted valuable running time with the
fighting.