On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 04:01:50PM -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> It was settled a while ago that sub arguments would be defaulted like this:
>
>   sub load_data ($version / /=1) {...}
>
> (The space between / and / is on purpose, my emailer has problems if they
> are together) I and a few others had issues with the slash-slash-equals
> thing, but were unable to persuade Damian, Larry, et al to change.

Hopefully those problems had nothing to do with you MUA  ;-)

> I'd like to make one more proposal for defaulting. Damian seems to
> like properties for arguments, how 'bout this construct:
>
>   sub load_data ( $version is default(1) ) {...}
>
> It's clean, fits the existing syntax, and immediately understandable.
> Thoughts?

So, how would you write the equivalent to this:

Or are you proposing to *only* replace //=?  Or are you proposing to
*only* replace //= in subroutine declarations?

What issues did you have with //=?  It seems clear and concise to me.

-Scott
--
Jonathan Scott Duff
[EMAIL PROTECTED]