Luke Palmer wrote:

> On 21 Sep 2002, Smylers wrote:
>
> > But because C<$num> _might_ be used as an array ref, the data has to
> > be kept around, which is wasteful.
>
> The programmer should know whether it would or wouldn't,

Oh, I wasn't doubting that.  I was just concerned that if the 'typical'
way of determining the size of an array remains as it is in Perl 5 then
a programmer could unwittingly be keeping superfluous data around.

> so he could put + or not.

Fair enough.  It would probably be good style always to include the C<+>
when only the size is required; just doing this when otherwise would
leave an array in memory would be too subtle.

Smylers