On Sun, 27 Oct 2002, Damian Conway wrote:
: Luke Palmer wrote:
:
: > You know, \ and friends as xor is appealing to me.
:
: Hmmmm. I quite like that too. :-)

Except what about unary xor, i.e. 1's complement?

Besides, Windows programmers would continually be writing

    $a / $b

and wonder why they don't get one($a,$b);

: > Also, a question about superpositions: Is
: >
: >     $x = 1 | 2 | 3
: >
: > equivalent to
: >
: >     $x = 1 | 2
: >     $x |= 3
:
: No. The precedence is wrong.

How so?

: > or
: >
: >     $x = (1 | 2) | 3
:
: Yes.

It's not clear that that shouldn't do the Right thing just like

    $a < $b < $c

: [Large amounts of how-to-think-of-it snipped...]
: So the effect is the same either way.

So why not just make it the same?  Otherwise you can't really use |=
to add to a set like you wanted.  All you can do is make a new set that
holds the old set plus the new member, which isn't the same thing, since
in set theory a set is a thing distinct from its members.

: The only time you'd notice any difference between $x1 and $x2 is if you
: asked for their eigenstates, in which case $x1 would give you
: three states (C<1>, C<2>, and C<3>) and $x2 would give you two states
: (C<any(1,2)> and C<3>).

I think we should make people people write any(any(1,2),3) if that's the
weird thing they want.  I think | and & should automatically reduce
as long as you're combining similars.

Or at least |= should have the notion of appending to an existing
any, just as ~= appends to an existing string.  The length of your
"how to think of it" is indicative that mere mortals will choose not
to think of it at all...

Larry