Larry wrote:

: Hmmmm. I quite like that too. :-)

Except what about unary xor, i.e. 1's complement?
I was carefully ignoring that. ;-)

Besides, Windows programmers would continually be writing

    $a / $b

and wonder why they don't get one($a,$b);
<grin>

: > Also, a question about superpositions: Is
: > : > $x = 1 | 2 | 3
: > : > equivalent to
: > : > $x = 1 | 2
: > $x |= 3
: : No. The precedence is wrong.

How so?
The former does the two |'s then a single assignment.
The later does one |, and assignment, another |, and then another assignment.

The difference might be significant, under overloading.

It's not clear that that shouldn't do the Right thing just like

    $a < $b < $c
Well, I'd certainly be in favour of that!

So why not just make it the same? Otherwise you can't really use |= to add to a set like you wanted. All you can do is make a new set that
holds the old set plus the new member, which isn't the same thing, since
in set theory a set is a thing distinct from its members.
Agreed. I'd certainly prefer it to DWIM.

I think we should make people people write any(any(1,2),3) if that's the
weird thing they want.  I think | and & should automatically reduce
as long as you're combining similars.
Agreed.

Damian