On 27 Oct 2002, Simon Cozens wrote:
: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Larry Wall) writes:
: > : Distinguishing them sounds scary, much scarier than having C<$a _ 1>
: > : being different from C<$a_1>.
: >
: > But we already have exactly the same distinction with
: >
: >     $foo{ $bar }
: >     $foo { $bar }
: >
: > not to mention
: >
: >     $a ?? $foo::bar
: >     $a ?? $foo :: bar
:
: And we had none of these distinctions in Perl 5. I hope this scares you
: as much as it scares me.

Eh?  Perl 5 certainly distinguishes these:

    $foo::bar
    $foo :: bar

It just doesn't give any meaning to the latter.

: To the innocent bystanders,

I'm afraid you're preaching to the null set here.  :-)

: I hope you're not buying any of this crap
: about Perl 6 being more "regular" or removing the "inconsistencies" of
: Perl 5.  It simply isn't true.

Hey, sounds like it'd make a great column.  Go for it.  I'll expect
a little more than an argument by assertion, however.

Larry