> Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 10:16:20 -0700 (MST)
> From: John Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> 2) requiring balanced delimiters to be escaped,
>    PRO: it's consistent with non-balanced delimiter requirements
>    CON: you already can; don't force it those who don't want it

I'll say no, agreeing with the CON.

> 3) allowing \qq[] in single-quoted here-docs.
>    PRO: it's consistent with single-quotes
>    CON: it contradicts the assertion that backslashes are not special in
> single quoted here-docs

I'd say no here, which is consistent with Perl 5.  My opinion
basically agrees with Perl 5:  I've never had a problem with those
quoting rules.  OTOH, I've never had to deal with localization.

In single-quoted heredocs, _nothing_ should be special.  When I'm
writing a P::RD grammar, I don't want to worry about doubling my
backslashes, which might already be doubled.  \\\\ is never pretty. If
there is a single backslashed construct, then backslashes must be
doubled, which stinks.

>         we need a quoting mechanism where NOTHING is special

I agree one-hundapacent!

Luke