On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 09:23:09AM -0600, Jonathan Scott Duff wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 12:27:16PM +0000, Andrew Wilson wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 02:59:32AM -0500, Joseph F. Ryan wrote:
> > > Non-Interpolating constructs are strings in which expressions do not
> > > interpolate or expand.  The exception to this rule is that the
> > > backslash character, \, will escape the character that immediately
> > > follows it.
> >
> > I don't think this is right.  A single backslash which is not followed
> > by the current quoting delimiter, or the characters q[ or q[[ is not
> > special.  It will not escape the following character, it just appears in
> > the string.  How about this:
>
> Actually, I think what you just said above is better.  Here's that
> plus my own ramblings:
>
>         Non-Interpolating constructs are strings in which expressions do
>         not interpolate or expand. The exception to this rule is the
>         backslash character C<\>. A single backslash which is followed
>         by the current quoting delimiter, or the characters q[ or q[[ is
>         special (more on this below). In all other cases the backslash
>         just means "literal next character". This is so that you can
>         easily get a backslash within your non-interpolating strings.
>         For instance, 'backslash (\\) \test' becomes "backslash \ test".

Except that not what it does.  Try this

perl -we "print '\a'.qq{\n}"

you should get:

\a

       Non-Interpolating constructs are strings in which expressions do
       not interpolate or expand. The exception to this rule is the
       backslash character C<\>. A single backslash which is followed by
       another backslash, the current quoting delimiter, or the
       characters q[ or q[[ is special (more on this below). In all
       other cases the backslash just means "literal backslash". This is
       so that you can easily get a backslash within your
       non-interpolating strings. For instance, 'backslash (\\) \test'
       becomes "backslash (\) \test".

> <barbie>writing is hard!</barbie> :-)

Yes it is.

andrew
--
Capricorn: (Dec. 22 - Jan. 19)
Remember: Doing the right thing is nowhere near as important as whether