On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 12:27:16PM +0000, Andrew Wilson wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 02:59:32AM -0500, Joseph F. Ryan wrote:
> > Non-Interpolating constructs are strings in which expressions do not
> > interpolate or expand.  The exception to this rule is that the
> > backslash character, \, will escape the character that immediately
> > follows it.
>
> I don't think this is right.  A single backslash which is not followed
> by the current quoting delimiter, or the characters q[ or q[[ is not
> special.  It will not escape the following character, it just appears in
> the string.  How about this:

Actually, I think what you just said above is better.  Here's that
plus my own ramblings:

        Non-Interpolating constructs are strings in which expressions do
        not interpolate or expand. The exception to this rule is the
        backslash character C<\>. A single backslash which is followed
        by the current quoting delimiter, or the characters q[ or q[[ is
        special (more on this below). In all other cases the backslash
        just means "literal next character". This is so that you can
        easily get a backslash within your non-interpolating strings.
        For instance, 'backslash (\\) \test' becomes "backslash \ test".

<barbie>writing is hard!</barbie> :-)

-Scott
--
Jonathan Scott Duff