On 12/11/02 1:10 PM, Michael Lazzaro wrote:
> I doggishly maintain my preference for treating "stringification for
> output" and "stringification for debugging" differently, but as long as
> I can specify an "AS_STRING" (sp?) method for a class, and _still_ get
> at a debugging version to print to other (debugging-related) strings, I
> think we're all basically happy.  That implies, however, that we need
> at least two methods per type/class:  AS_STRING, and AS_DEBUG, for lack
> of better names.  By default, the first calls the second.

Can we at least get something about "strings" in the name of the debug
method?  "AS_STRING" is pretty clear, but "AS_DEBUG" could mean a lot of
things...and at first glance, it doesn't seem related to "AS_STRING" at all.

Maybe "AS_STRING" and "AS_STRING_DEBUG"?  Too long?  "DEBUG_STRING"?  Are we
married to the "AS_*" thing?  That naming scheme always seems "too cute" to
me...

> (I also beg people to stop thinking about testing for equality/equivalence
> between two objects as being related to their stringification.  You shouldn't
> be stringifying objects merely to test if they're the same object -- yuck.  It
> was an artifact of Perl5 that we should be replacing.)

So, what is the Perl 6 way to test this?

-John