At 2:28 PM -0800 12/11/02, Michael G Schwern wrote:
On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 02:15:40PM -0800, Michael Lazzaro wrote:
 On Wednesday, December 11, 2002, at 11:16  AM, Luke Palmer wrote:
 >This brings up something that's been on the tip of my toungue for
 >awhile.  In many object-oriented languages we have seen that there is
 >an important difference between "equal" and "same."  Perl already has
 >two kinds of equal, but IIRC there is nothing to test whether two
 >variables refer to the same place in memory.  Should there be?

 After thinking about it a little more, I'll set myself on the "yes"
 side.  And propose either '===' or ':=:' to do it.
Given that this will not be a commonly used feature, I wouldn't give it a
special operator.  Just use a method.

      $foo.sameas $bar;
      %foo.sameas %bar;
      @foo.sameas @bar;
I'd have to agree. Testing for this sort of thing seems relatively uncommon, and wasting punctuation on it doesn't seem worth it.
--
Dan

Dan Sugalski even samurai
[EMAIL PROTECTED] have teddy bears and even
teddy bears get drunk