"Piers Cawley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> Dan Sugalski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > An object is a data type, as much as an array or hash is a data type,
> > but that doesn't make an array an object. [insert obligatory "all men
> > are Socratese" quote here)
>
> I really hope you're wrong here Dan. At least in that particular
> case. Being able to inherit from Array or Hash or whatever as a
> neater way of implementing, say, Tie semantics would be remarkably
useful...

Let me suggest two interpretations of Dan's remark that seem
reasonable to me:

1. The internal implementation for an array is an optimization
beyond that of a generic object. This would not be visible to
the programmer, so isn't important wrt the language.

2. There is a primitive "array" type that is promoted to an
objectified Array class when needed. This would be analogous
to the int/Int distinction for primitive numbers. This would be
visible to programmers, but may be acceptable for the same
reason as the int/Int types are.

Of course, it's up to Dan to clarify his own intent: these are just
my opinions.

Dave.