Luke Palmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Not necessarily.  <~ will necessarily need to be right-associative,
> while ~> left, however.

Not sure if you aren't getting this backwards, but anyway I often find
myself confused with right and left.

> It would be logical to give them the same
> precedence, except for the opposite associativity thing, where parsers
> get different results based on their parse method.  So different
> precedences would be good only to ensure that different parsers saw
> the same thing.

Actually I don't think you can define a grammar where two operators have
the same precedence but different associativity. Be it a pure BNF
grammar, or a classical yacc specification (using the %left and %right
declarations).