At 1:37 PM +0000 1/10/03, Peter Haworth wrote:
On Thu, 9 Jan 2003 16:40:20 -0500, Dan Sugalski wrote:
 #10 We do MI, but we don't instantiate a class' attributes multiple
   times if its in the hierarchy for a class more than once. If it is, the
   leftmost instance is real, the rest are virtual
This will mean we can't support Eiffel
Nope. :)

What it means is that the proposed base object system won't work for eiffel. There are very few proposed core changes to support this object system, and if you think about it the expressed program-level semantics are sufficient for eiffel (I think), it's just the behind-the-curtain bits that aren't. And there's nothing to say that a theoretical eiffel implementation couldn't just have a different Attr-style object. (Eiffel's classes, IIRC, are compile-time fixed so it can do the necessary code cloning and renaming magic to make it all work. I suppose we could too, but it's a lot more work to do it since things can change at runtime in perl/python/ruby classes)
--
Dan

Dan Sugalski even samurai
[EMAIL PROTECTED] have teddy bears and even
teddy bears get drunk