On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 12:08:29AM +0100, Leopold Toetsch wrote:

> Here is a proposal for inter code segment jumps:
>
> The assembler (imcc) can recognize when a branch ins goes to a different
> code segment.
>
> For such a branch, imcc generates this opcode seqence:
>
>    inter_cs
>    if i, ic # or whatever

Why do we need branches to go to different code segments ?  I think the
expectation has been that control transfers between segments would have their
own op, because separate code segments would generally coincide with subs,
closures or at least blocks, that have specific entry points.

Maybe Dan could give us a hint about the closure/block/byte code segment
relationship.

--
Jason