At 7:23 AM +0100 1/24/03, Leopold Toetsch wrote:
Dave Mitchell wrote:

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 09:21:45PM +0100, Juergen Boemmels wrote:

My current idea for the in memory format of the bytecode is this:

I would strongly urge any file-based byte-code format to arranged
in such a way that it (or most of it) can simply be mmap-ed in (RO),
analogously to executables.

How many mmap's can $arch have for one program and for all?
Could we hit some limits here, if every module loaded gets (and stays) mmap()ed.
We certainly could, which I suppose would argue for building in sufficient smarts to the bytecode loader to switch to file reading if an mmap fails. It'll be slower, but working is generally a good thing.
--
Dan

Dan Sugalski even samurai
[EMAIL PROTECTED] have teddy bears and even
teddy bears get drunk