"Michael Lazzaro" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message

>    ... if such capabilities exist, what are their real names?  Can
> anyone think of any that are absolute must-haves?  Are any of the above
> must-haves?

I think that the only must-have is the ability to add these things later.
The size constraints are probably C<but> properties, as is C<locked>. The
exception behavior probably deserves to remain an C<is> property. There are
so many possibilities that we can't expect to have them as built-ins. And I
don't really see any compelling reason for any of the suggestions as a
builtin. Examples of other properties include:

    but sparse #  sparse arrays
    but lower_bound=>N   # orthogonal to base_index
    is interpolated(algorithm=>Linear) # permit fractional indexes on this
variable.

> (Note that the obvious added complexity caused by so many options can
> probably be optimized away for the default array implementation.)

Any that are defined as C<is> properties are trivially optimized, because
they don't affect the stored value.