James Michael DuPont wrote:

Dear All,
I just wanted to ask about a conclusion on the bytecode metadata.

Here are the things I would like to know about a given bytecode :
what line (maybe column) it comes from

File/line information is already there (imcc -d -o...) and working.

If it is a method call, what is the method name,signature,locatoin
If it is a variable or constant, what is the variable name, type, size
If it is a expression , what is the type of it, the size
For a given type, the name, size would be great to store.

Is it going to be possible to store this data in the meta-data,
it does not have to be all there at once, but will the framework handle
it?

Yep. The framework can now handle all kinds of information in the PBC, though the details have to be determined. For actually doing something useful with these data we probably need a PBC PMC class, which can do something with this data at PASM level and if possible routines like in jit_debug.c which handle such information over to the debugger.

Hopefully you have answered this already, and you can just say, rtfm.

Some minutes ago, I did check in a major update of docs/parrotbyte.pod.

mike

leo